Here's How Easy Healthy Eating Can Be
Make the most of convenience products, and stay healthy too.
You don't have to sacrifice good-for-you meals when you need dinner ready in 30 minutes or less. Get a jump start on nutritious recipes by using convenience items.
- Slice bread horizontally using a serrated knife.
- Layer with prosciutto and cheese.
- Top with fresh baby spinach.
- Add roasted red bell peppers.
- Drizzle with light balsamic vinaigrette.
- Wrap in foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until warm.
If You Can Boil Water, You Can Make Couscous
Light and fluffy couscous is a quick alternative to rice, pasta, or potatoes that cooks in just five minutes. Made from semolina, the same ingredient as in pasta, couscous provides a good source of complex carbohydrates and B vitamins. Find it on the rice aisle of most grocery stores, and enjoy it by itself or with meat and vegetables. To add more fiber and whole grains to your diet, look for whole wheat couscous in specialty food stores.
- Bring broth to a boil. Stir hot broth into dry couscous.
- Cover couscous with a plate, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff couscous with a fork.
- Stir in chicken, basil, feta, tomatoes, lemon, and pepper.
- Toss ingredients,and serve warm or cold.
This article is from the January 2006 issue of Southern Living.