Lighten Up Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Green Tomatoes
Makes: about 20 slices Hands-On Time: 30 min. Total Time: 40 min.
4 medium-size green tomatoes (about 1 1/3 lb.)
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
½ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
½ cup all-purpose flour
4 egg whites
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1. Cut tomatoes into ½-inch-thick slices; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. Combine cornmeal mix and panko in a shallow dish or pie plate. Place flour in a second shallow dish or pie plate. Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy. Dredge tomato slices in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg whites, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
3. Cook half of tomato slices in 1½ Tbsp. hot oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Season with salt to taste. Place on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan, and keep warm in a 225° oven. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato slices and oil.
Per Tomato Slice: CALORIES 65; FAT 2.2G (SAT 0.3G, MONO 1.6G, POLY 0.2G); PROTEIN 2.1G; CARB 9.3G; FIBER 0.6G; CHOL 0MG; IRON 0.5MG; SODIUM 157MG; CALC 16MG
Each of these low-fat sauces can be stirred together in 10 minutes. Chill 1 hour, and store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
- 1.Pepper Jelly Sauce
- Stir together 2/3 cup red pepper jelly, 2 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard, 1 tsp. prepared horseradish, and 1 tsp. orange zest.
- Per Tbsp: Calories 29; FAT 0G
- 2.Citrus-Ginger Aïoli
- Stir together 1 cup mayonnaise; 1 tsp. lime zest; 1 tsp. orange zest; 4 tsp. fresh lime juice; 1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice; 2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger; 1 garlic clove, minced; ¼ tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
- Per Tbsp: Calories 37; FAT 3.6G
- 3.Blue Cheese-Dill Sauce
- Stir together ½ cup sour cream, ½ cup 2% low-fat plain yogurt, 2 tsp. chopped fresh dill, 2 oz. crumbled blue cheese, 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice, and ¼ tsp. salt.
- Per Tbsp: Calories 23; FAT 1.8G
- 4.Sriracha Rémoulade
- Stir together 1½ cups mayonnaise; 4 green onions, sliced; 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley; 2 to 3 Tbsp. Asian Sriracha hot chili sauce; and 1 garlic clove, pressed.
- Per Tbsp: Calories 35; FAT 3.4G