The Best Strawberries-and-Cream Sheet Cake
Sheet cakes are perfect for parties—they're easy to make and allow you to serve the masses while maintaining an elegant presentation.
If you love strawberries (and honestly, who doesn't?), this swoon-worthy sheet cake is the ultimate springtime crowd-pleaser. Rich buttermilk and fresh strawberries, plus a touch of fresh lemon juice for a little dimension, make this dessert go down way too easily.
Here's a step-by-step guide to making the best strawberries-and-cream sheet cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Beat 1 cup of butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 2 cups of sugar, beating 4 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy
- Add 2 large eggs, beating until blended after each addition
- Beat in 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Combine 2 ½ cups of cake flour, 2 tablespoons of strawberry-flavored gelatin, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon table salt. Stir together
- Alternate between adding flour mix and buttermilk (1 cup) to the butter mixture, but make sure to begin and end with the flour. Beat at low speed until blended
- Stir in strawberries
- Grease a 13- x 9-inch baking pan with shortening and flour; then, line it with parchment paper, allowing two to three inches to hang over the long sides. Lightly grease the paper with cooking spray
- Pour in the batter, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes (or until done)
- Cool in pan for 30 minutes. Lift the cake from the pan, using the excess parchment paper as handles. Invert the cake onto a wire rack and gently remove the parchment paper. Allow the cake to cool completely before adding frosting
- Cover the top and sides of the cake with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting and garnish with fresh strawberries and sage for an elegant look. Or, opt for Strawberry Buttercream Frosting for an extra surge of strawberry flavor
WATCH: Strawberries-and-Cream Sheet Cake
Take this cake to new heights by making it a layer cake by baking it in three smaller, round pans and fill each layer with frosting.