The South's Best Pies
These best pie bakeries make their own buttery, flaky crusts, filled with custard or the season's best fruit to add homespun flavor to their delicious pies.
- A Slice Of Pie
- Ron and Mickey Hopson, both retired teachers, opened their tiny pie shop 25 years ago. The beloved community stalwart remains unfussy. Rows of pies with tawny crusts and bubbled-over edges are displayed on pink cloths beneath the counter.
- Why we're sweet on it: Every town should have a time-capsule pit stop like this for classic American pie.
- Order this: French silk pie—a fluffy chocolate mousse topped with whipped cream. asliceofpie.info
- Mom's Apple Pie Company
Occoquan & Leesburg, VA
- The two locations of Mom's exhibit different personalities: Leesburg has the air of a gourmet shop, while Occoquan includes a general store where you can buy fishing bait.
- Why we're sweet on it: Much of the fruit used in the pies comes from the 40-acre farm run by Mom's owner Avis Renshaw and her brood.
- Order this: The signature pie, with a mix of apple varieties for a satisfying tang. Mail order available; momsapplepieco.com
- Pie Lab
- Gleaming hardwood floors and artful wall installations add up to the sleekest pie shop in 'Bama.
- Why we're sweet on it: Pie Lab also strives for greater good: It functions as an outreach center that instructs youth on small business development and other skills.
- Order this: Gingersnap pumpkin pie with a tangy cranberry glaze. Mail order available; pielab.org
- Pie Shop
- Hidden in the lower, back level of a retail complex in Atlanta's tony Buckhead neighborhood, Mims Bledsoe's year-old shop feels like a clandestine pie haven. The 28-year-old Mims, as cute as pie herself, also rotates tarts, tassies (mini pies), pot pies, and fried pies through her repertoire.
- Why we're sweet on it: On Fridays and Saturdays, the shop keeps longer hours for "late-night pie." As people leisurely show up, the place takes on the air of an in-the-know soirée.
- Order this: Custardy coconut cream pie crowned with frothy whipped cream. Mail order available; the-pie-shop.com
- Phoebe Lawless spent eight years at Durham's acclaimed Magnolia Grill, learning from James Beard Award-winner Karen Barker. She took her talents to the thriving farmers markets, where her pies earned a big enough following to support her own bakery.
- Why we're sweet on it: Phoebe bakes with the seasons, sourcing ingredients from the same local farmers with whom she once sold her pies.
- Order this: Mexican chocolate cream pie, in winter. piefantasy.com