The South's Best Breads & Pastries
- Bluegrass Baking Company
- Though they craft lovely Danish and croissants, the centerpiece remains the golden loaves baked in a stone oven that imparts a crisp, chewy crust.
- Why we're sweet on it: They sell magnificently dense European-style breads.
- Order this: Raisin-pecan bread—the ultimate breakfast toast. bluegrassbakingcompany.com
- H&F Bread Co.
- Co-owned by Linton Hopkins of Atlanta's Restaurant Eugene and Holeman & Finch Public House, H&F has become a darling of the city's burgeoning farmers markets.
- Why we're sweet on it: H&F brings a distinctly Southern lilt to baking, topping focaccia with peaches and elevating glazed apple fried pies into dulcet handheld delicacies.
- Order this: Southern sandwich bread, the ideal base for the bakery's pimiento cheese. hfbreadco.com
Related: 13 Best Coffee Cake Recipes. Ever!
- Poupart Bakery Inc.
- Catering to Cajun culture, this bakery serves beignets, lemony Doberge tortes, and puff-pastry King cakes. It also showcases a wonderland of French-style pastries crafted by François Poupart, who immigrated to Louisiana in the early 1960s, and his son Patrick.
- Why we're sweet on it: Vibrant fruit tarts, puffy éclairs, and meticulous slices of opera cake are as delicious to devour as they are to behold.
- Order this: Strawberry Delight, an old-world beauty of fresh strawberries, mousseline (custard and whipped cream) and fraisier (a sponge cake made with almond meal). Mail order available; poupartsbakery.com
- Upper Crust Bakery
- On a busy corner of the town's park-laden Rosewood area, Upper Crust has been a mecca for Austin coeds, moms, and morning commuters for more than 15 years.
- Why we're sweet on it: This consummate local bakery is as much a breakfast-and-lunch touchstone as a source for fresh artisan breads.
- Order this: Brioche, made savory (ham and cheese), sweet (chocolate and raspberry), or stuffed with Swiss cheese. theuppercrustbakery.com
- Wildflour Pastry
- Lauren Mitterer's neighborhood gem gratifies cravings all day: Mornings begin with scones and turnovers; later in the day, fruit crisps appear.
- Why we're sweet on it: Lauren, previously a restaurant pastry chef, translates her formal know-how to create both sophisticated and homey creations with equal panache.
- Order this: Pecan-topped sticky buns, served on Sticky Bun Sundays. Mail order available; wildflourpastrycharleston.com