5 Cozy Apple Cider Recipes
Mull over these hot apple cider recipes to get in the winter spirit.
Creamy, mulled, spiked, or sparkling, we guarantee you'll love these apple cider recipes. Pair them with a roaring fire for a perfect winter evening.
Creamy Apple Cider
- Hot Cider Nog: Whisk together 2 cups half-and-half, 1 cup each milk and apple cider, 2 large eggs, 1⁄2 cup sugar, 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon, and 1⁄8 tsp. each salt and ground nutmeg in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat; stir in 1⁄2 cup bourbon, if desired. Top each serving with sweetened whipped cream. Garnish with cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon, and apple slices, if desired. Makes: 5 1⁄2 cups
Mulled Apple Cider
- Cider Tea: Place 6 regular-size hibiscus tea bags and 2 1⁄2 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 2 cups. Remove tea bags, and stir in 4 each whole allspice and cloves and 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks. Let cool about 1 hour; chill 1 hour. Discard solids. Cook tea mixture and 6 cups apple cider in a large saucepan over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Note: We tested with Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger Herbal Tea. Makes: 8 cups
Spiked Apple Cider
- Rum Cider Tea: Prepare Cider Tea as directed, stirring 1 cup spiced rum into cider mixture in saucepan. Makes: 9 cups
- Bourbon Cider Sour: Stir together 3⁄4 cup each bourbon and apple cider, 1⁄2 cup orange juice, and 1⁄4 cup sugar. Serve over finely crushed ice. Makes: 2 1⁄3 cups
- Party Apple Punch: Stir together 2 cups chilled pear nectar, 1⁄4 cup honey, and, if desired, 1 cup brandy in a large punch bowl. Stir in 2 (750-milliliter) bottles chilled sparkling apple cider and 1 liter chilled club soda just before serving. Makes: 13 cups