Mull over these hot apple cider recipes to get in the winter spirit.
Creamy, mulled, spiked, or sparkling, we guarantee you'll love these apple cider recipes. Pair them with a roaring fire for a perfect winter evening.
Creamy Apple Cider
- Hot Cider Nog: Whisk together 2 cups half-and-half, 1 cup each milk and apple cider, 2 large eggs, 1⁄2 cup sugar, 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon, and 1⁄8 tsp. each salt and ground nutmeg in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Remove from heat; stir in 1⁄2 cup bourbon, if desired. Top each serving with sweetened whipped cream. Garnish with cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon, and apple slices, if desired. Makes: 5 1⁄2 cups
Mulled Apple Cider
- Cider Tea: Place 6 regular-size hibiscus tea bags and 2 1⁄2 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 2 cups. Remove tea bags, and stir in 4 each whole allspice and cloves and 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks. Let cool about 1 hour; chill 1 hour. Discard solids. Cook tea mixture and 6 cups apple cider in a large saucepan over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Note: We tested with Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger Herbal Tea. Makes: 8 cups
Spiked Apple Cider
- Rum Cider Tea: Prepare Cider Tea as directed, stirring 1 cup spiced rum into cider mixture in saucepan. Makes: 9 cups
- Bourbon Cider Sour: Stir together 3⁄4 cup each bourbon and apple cider, 1⁄2 cup orange juice, and 1⁄4 cup sugar. Serve over finely crushed ice. Makes: 2 1⁄3 cups
- Party Apple Punch: Stir together 2 cups chilled pear nectar, 1⁄4 cup honey, and, if desired, 1 cup brandy in a large punch bowl. Stir in 2 (750-milliliter) bottles chilled sparkling apple cider and 1 liter chilled club soda just before serving. Makes: 13 cups