The Best Way to Freeze Bacon
Don’t freeze leftover bacon in its original package—we’ll show you a few storage tricks that will make defrosting a breeze.
Leftover bacon is always a good problem to have—unless you’ve frozen it into a rock-hard cube. If you’re freezing uncooked bacon, you can’t just shove it back into its original package and place it in the freezer. You have to separate the strips and flash freeze them. This allows you to quickly defrost individual strips when you need them. And it’s easier than it sounds.
Break out the baking sheet. Place your leftover raw bacon strips on a wax paper or parchment-lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in your freezer until the bacon is frozen solid, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the bacon strips from the baking sheet and store in a resealable plastic ziplock bag.
Related: Baked BLT Dip Recipe
Wrap individual strips in wax paper. Another method of freezing bacon is to wrap individual strips in wax paper. Cut a large sheet of wax paper (the more strips you have, the bigger the sheet should be) and place one strip at the short end of the paper. Fold the paper over the bacon so that is covering the strip. Then fold again to make a seal. Place another strip of bacon ontop of the first strip (which should be covered in wax paper) and repeat until all of your strips of bacon are wrapped in wax paper. Place the wrapped bacon in a resealable plastic ziplock bag and store in your freezer.
Roll into spirals. And for a truly ingenious—and dare we say cute?—bacon freezing method, roll the bacon into tightly coiled spirals. Freeze the spirals on a baking sheet until solid, then store them in a resealable ziplock bag. You can defrost as many individual spirals as you need.
Don't wait too long. Leftover frozen bacon is best used within one month, according to the FDA. You can safely defrost it in your refrigerator, under cool running water, or in the microwave. Never defrost bacon by leaving it on your kitchen countertop; harmful bacteria can develop if the bacon is left at room temperature for too long.