Fall Fashion Must-Haves
Megan LaRussa Chenoweth is a style coach based in Birmingham, Alabama. As a style coach, Megan updates clients’ seasonal wardrobes based on their unique styles. She keeps up with the top trends, must-have items, and basic staples for a living – all so you don’t have to.
The fast-paced nature of the fashion industry can be overwhelming. Between finding the perfect, trendy blouse, those specifically-cut jeans, or that “it” handbag, sometimes it seems easier just to stick to your preexisting wardrobe.
But making a fashion statement this fall doesn't have to be daunting. Below, you'll find the 10 must-have items for fall based on this season's top runway collections. Pick and chose which items that most speak to you and best complement your wardrobe. Not every trend is right for every age, body type, or personality. This list is a basic guide to easily prep you for a stylish, Southern fall.
1. Velvet Jeans. This season, we've seen lots of textures from the runway. A velvet jean is a modern and flattering way to incorporate this trend into your wardrobe. Here are my top picks from rag & bone (1), NYJD (2) and J Brand (3):
2. Cropped Ankle Flare. The latest-and-greatest pant silhouette is the cropped ankle flare. Wear it to work with a turtleneck and pointed toe flats, or in denim with a cozy sweater and booties on the weekend. Here are my top picks from Paige (1), The Limited (2) and Zara (3):
3. Fall Floral. Floral isn't just for spring. This fall, select deeply-hued, autumnal floral prints. These look best when paired with rich neutrals like charcoal, black, navy and camel. Here are my top picks from Banana Republic (1), Loeffler Randall (2) and Rebecca Taylor (3):
4. The Crossbody Bag. Hands-free and stylish, a crossbody is perfect for football games, weekends away, and everything in between. Opt for a crossbody bag in either a saddlebag or rounded shape for a modern take on this classic. Here are my top picks from Clare V (1), TL-180 (2) and Elizabeth and James (3):
5. A Berry-Hued Sweater. From wine to raspberry to poppy pink, berry tones are dominating this season. Love it? Go tonal head to toe in these gorgeous colors. More of a neutral person? Experiment with an accent in an accessory like a scarf, shoe, or even a purse. Here are my top picks from Alice + Olivia (1), UNIQLO (2) and rag & bone (3):
6. A Leather "Moto" Jacket. The staple fall coat for our Southern climate is a leather jacket. Update this must-have basic by selecting a motorcycle silhouette in classic black, trendy burgundy, or even a bolder neutral.... and wear it with everything! Here are my top picks from Massimo Dutti (1), Isabele Marant Étoile (2) and Parker (3):
7. A Tailored Blazer. Tailored suit pieces in rich, gorgeous fall tones showed up on nearly every fall runway. To make suiting ready for daily wear, break apart this business basic by rocking a blazer with jeans, a dress, or even your new ankle crop flares. Here are my top picks from Ann Taylor (1), J.Crew (2) and Reiss (3):
8. Block-Heel Booties. Comfy and chic, block- or stacked-heeled booties are everywhere this season. Try a shorter stacked heel for casual everyday, and a taller one for work and evening. Both black and brown are basic necessities; bootie-lovers should try gray and burgundy. Here are my top picks from Madewell (1), Kenneth Cole (2) and Rebecca Minkoff (3):
9. Stylish Sneakers. From slip-ons to lace ups, sneakers are for all ages and personal styles. They look best with ankle or cuffed jeans, or even a pair of black ankle trousers for a cool casual Friday vibe. Here are my favorite from Superga (1), Steve Madden (2) and Golden Goose (3):
10. A Choker Necklace. Statement accessories are back in full force, in particularly the choker. If chokers aren't your thing, experiment with a choker-meets-lariat for a lovely layered look. Here are my favorites from Luv Aj (1), Bauble Bar (2) and Kenneth Jay Lay (3):