This fashion week is making us swoon and here, fashion blogger, Holly Boyd, explains why.
As a fashion blogger, I live for runway shows and fashion weeks. I have been to the exciting streets of New York during NYFW and I have also been a part of events more local to me such as, Charleston Fashion Week—one that’s quickly become one of the highlights of my social calendar. Here, I share what I love about it and you why it should become one of your new traditions.
- The Location. This year is the 11th anniversary of amazing runway shows located in Marion Square, the heart of dreamy Charleston, South Carolina. The city is a beautiful backdrop any day, but during fashion week it's a little more colorful and vibrant. Home to some of the most beautiful attractions in the world including locales like Rainbow Row, a street lined with colorful houses, and Boone Hall Plantation where a portion of the movie The Notebook was shot, Charleston is a city to be savored.
- Exceptional Shopping. King Street is the place to be when it comes to shopping for mens and womens clothing. I love to stop by the iconic Lilly Pulitzer Signature store, and Copper Penny on King Street which has brands like BCBG, Trina Turk, GiGi New York, and Tolani. My favorite shoe spot on King is Shoes On King where you can find a shoe at any price point and for any occasion. They have brands such as Vince Camuto, Sorel, Via Spiga, Vince, Dolce Vita, and Hammitt. Moon & Lola, one of my favorite jewelry and home accessories stores, recently opened on King and is a great place to get a little sparkle for the evening. I also make sure to book my blowout appointment with the Dry Bar location that sits among this stellar shops. It’s a street that leaves nothing to be desired.
- Unbeatable Food. As you likely know, the food scene in Charleston is top notch and in between shows, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to get your taste of it. Some of my favorites are brunch is High Cotton—I recommend the Eggs Benedict and Brioche French Toast—lunch at Magnolia's for its’ great food and fun atmosphere, and dinner at Hank's Seafood for incredible seafood and buttermilk fried chicken. These are a few of my favorites, but you just about can’t go wrong with any restaurant you choose.
- Benefits Good Causes. CFW is not only a chance to experience a world-class event, but also one to be a part in helping increase local economic growth in fashion and retail. This year, you can shop Rachel Roy’s runway looks immediately after the show and 20% of proceeds will benefit Lowcountry Orphanage. The event was created to help pave the way for emerging designers and has been successful in increasing brand awareness for a number of up-and-comers. It is truly a wonderful event to be a part of and a memory you will have for a lifetime.
- The Fashion (of course!). Fashion Week begins on Wednesday March 15th and got through Saturday March 18th. Every year CFW brings in special fashion guests who have included the likes of International Fashion & Design Consultant Fern Mallis, and Fashion Designers Bibhu Mohaptra, Rachel Roy Fashion, Pauline Sokol Nakios and William Rast. Along with established brands there is an emerging designer competition each night where aspiring designers showcase their own collections for a chance to have their collections placed in Belk stores, and win prizes valued at over $40,000. Along with the emerging designers, top boutiques in the area also have their own runway shows to showcase the goodies that can be purchased locally.