The Best Box Hair Dyes to Touch Up Your Color at Home
One aspect of life that the pandemic upended was a regular beauty routine. As everyone came together to follow social distancing rules and stay-home orders to help slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, that also meant more people than ever were dealing with outgrown roots or dull color.
Yes, Southern women love keeping up with their hair color—and there's no shame in that. But when salons closed for the foreseeable future, it was time to find another solution to touch up color at home. Enter: box hair dye.
Box hair dyes sometimes get a bad rap, but as long as you take the time to choose the right option from a trusted brand—and follow directions closely—they're actually an easy, convenient, and affordable alternative for keeping your color fresh without going to a salon. And while some people may be returning to their trusty beauty parlors as businesses reopen and the public has access to COVID-19 vaccines, box hair dye is still a great option if you're in a pinch or on a budget. To help you out, we did the research and found the best box hair dyes you can buy online:
- Best-Rated Box Dye: Schwarzkopf Simply Color Permanent Hair Color
- Best for Brunettes: John Frieda Precision Foam Colour
- Best to Cover Grays: Revlon Total Color Clean Hair Color
- Best for Blondes: Christophe Robin Temporary Color Gel
- Best Non-Toxic: Madison Reed Radiant Hair Color Kit
- Best for Long-Lasting Color: Garnier Olia Brilliant Color
- Best for Quick Application: Clairol Nice N' Easy Perfect 10 Hair Color
- Best for Highlights: L'Oreal Paris Frost and Design Cap Hair Highlights For Long Hair
- Best for Redheads: Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color
- Best for Roots: Clairol Root Touch-Up
- Best for Bold Colors: Overtone Original Rose Gold Coloring Conditioner
- Best for Ombré: L'Oréal Paris Feria Brush-on Ombré Effect Hair Color
- Best for Damaged Hair: Schwarzkopf Keratin Color Cream
Before reaching for any ol' box hair color, though, it's important to find one that not only will work for your specific hair type and hair concern, but also won't botch your existing color. Keep reading to learn more about these box hair dyes and why they're great choices for every hair color, type, and concern. The best part? They're all under $40, so you can save money without sacrificing your beauty routine.