5 Natural Deodorants That Can Stand Up to the Southern Heat
Because there's no time to sweat gambling with our sun.
If we may, let’s ditch the niceties and get down to business. Today, we’re talking armpits. It seems you’re here because you’ve decided to explore the world of deodorants and antiperspirants that are aluminum-free. We’ve all come here for different reasons. Maybe it’s because of a frightening article you read on Facebook. Perhaps you’re tired of finding yellow stains resulting from the reaction of sweat with the aluminum found in conventional kinds. Whatever the reason, we’re here for you because taking that leap here in the South where we have more warm days than not can seem too risky to try.
While we’re all unique snowflakes with our perspiration levels and triggers, these are the deodorant brands our editors love.
1. Schmidt’s Natural Deodorant: Available in scents like Rose and Vanilla, Bergamot and Lime, or Geranium, these sticks not only smell sensational, they’re also the best we’ve seen at reducing wetness, which is something so many natural deodorants don’t do. While the texture is a bit grittier and abrasive than you might be use to, it’s not bothersome enough to keep us from subscribing to it on Amazon.
2. Weleda Citrus Deodorant: If white marks and chalky feel keep you from trying natural deodorants, Weleda (maker of our favorite Skin Food moisturizer) has a spray version that smells like fresh-squeezed lemon juice and drys quickly. While it may not keep you totally dry, you can rest assured that anything you do sweat will be stank-free.
3. Lavanila Vanilla Grapefruit Deodorant: Although the price point might make you sweat, several of our editors say that it’s well worth the confidence they have in this brand to not only keep them smelling fresh as just-cut grapefruit, but also dry for several hours after application.
4. Ursa Major Hoppin’ Fresh Deodorant: We heard about Ursa Major from our friends at Club Duquette here in Birmingham, Alabama. We love the botanical scent of this stick, which also lasts disturbingly long, making this smidge pricey item worthwhile. Don't believe us? We’ve had a bottle of their zippy citrus body wash for 5 months now, and it still hasn’t run out. Seriously, it’s a little concerning.
You may also be interested in:
5. Malin and Goetz Eucalyptus Deodorant: One of our favorite parts of staying at a 21c Hotel? All the mini Malin + Goetz toiletries. But if there is one item from their line worthy of buying a full-size, it’s this. Wary of solid deodorants leaving skid marks on your black silk shirt, this stick is for you.