SEC Football: Week 11 Recap
In case you missed any of the games, Todd Talley recounts all of the action – including Ole Miss’s comeback win against Texas A&M – along with his updated SEC Power Poll.
Game of the Week: Ole Miss 29, Texas A&M 28
Following quarterback Chad Kelly’s season ending knee injury against Georgia Southern, Ole Miss decided to remove true freshman Shea Patterson’s redshirt heading into the Texas A&M game. Patterson struggled in the first half, and the Aggies led the Rebels 21-6 at halftime. However, Patterson rallied Ole Miss to 23 fourth quarter points, including passing touchdowns to Damore’ea Stringfellow and Van Jefferson and 39 yard field goal by Gary Wunderlich with 37 seconds remaining, to give the Rebels the comeback victory. Patterson threw for 338 yards and ran for 64 yards in his first college game. "I've recruited this kid since he was a ninth-grader, and I've kind of always known that he has that `it' quality," Freeze said of Patterson. "The guy just makes plays. He doesn't get rattled a lot."
Player of the Week: Jalen Hurts, Alabama
In Alabama’s 51-3 drubbing of Mississippi State, Crimson Tide true freshman quarterback Jalen Hurts became the first player in school history to throw for 300 yards and rush for 100 yards in the same game. Hurts threw for 347 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for 100 yards and a touchdown. It was Hurts’s fourth 100 yard rushing game of the season and the fourth time that he had accounted for at least four touchdowns. Hurts, Patterson, Georgia’s Jacob Eason, and South Carolina’s Jake Bentley make up the best group of true freshmen quarterbacks in the SEC in recent memory.
SEC Power Poll
- Alabama (10-0) – defeated Mississippi State 51-3
- LSU (6-3) – defeated Arkansas 38-10
- Auburn (7-3) – lost to Georgia 13-7
- Texas A&M (7-3) – lost to Ole Miss 29-28
- Arkansas (6-4) – lost to LSU 38-10
- Florida (7-2) – defeated South Carolina 20-7
- Tennessee (7-3) – defeated Kentucky 49-36
- Ole Miss (5-5) – defeated Texas A&M 29-28
- Georgia (6-4) – defeated Auburn 13-7
- Kentucky (5-5) – lost to Tennessee 49-36
- Mississippi State (4-6) – lost to Alabama 51-3
- South Carolina (5-5) – lost to Florida 20-7
- Vanderbilt (4-6) – lost to Missouri 26-17
- Missouri (3-7) – defeated Vanderbilt 26-17