SEC Football: Week 8 Recap
In case you missed any of the games, Todd Talley recounts all of the action—including Leonard Fournette's record-setting performance—along with his updated SEC Power Poll.
Game of the Week: Alabama 33, Texas A&M 14
Despite dominating the first half, Alabama only led Texas A&M 13-7 at intermission. Texas A&M quarterback Trevor Knight completed a 25 yard touchdown pass to Christian Kirk to give the Aggies a 14-13 lead early in the third quarter. On the ensuing drive, Texas A&M seemingly had forced a punt after Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts threw an incomplete pass on third and ten. However, Texas A&M was penalized for roughing the passer on the play, and Alabama drove down the field to take a 20-14 lead on Hurts's 4 yard pass to Calvin Ridley. Late in the third quarter, Alabama scored its 12th non-offensive touchdown of the season on defensive end Jonathan Allen's 30 yard fumble return. Finally, Hurts iced the game with a 37 yard fourth quarter touchdown run. The victory came at a steep price for Alabama as Eddie Jackson, an All-American candidate at safety and punt returner, was lost for the season with a broken leg.
Player of the Week: Leonard Fournette, LSU
In LSU's 38-21 victory over Ole Miss, LSU running back Leonard Fournette set a school record with 284 yards rushing and three touchdowns on only 16 carries. Fournette scored on touchdown runs of 59, 76, and 78 yards and set the school rushing record on only his eighth carry of the day. Fournette's ankle looks healthy, and he will be on a mission to make up for his 31 yard performance against the Tide last season.
SEC Power Poll
- Alabama (8-0) – defeated Texas A&M 33-14
- Texas A&M (6-1) – lost to Alabama 33-14
- Auburn (5-2) – defeated Arkansas 56-3
- LSU (5-2) – defeated Ole Miss 38-21
- Tennessee (5-2) – OFF WEEK
- Florida (5-1) – OFF WEEK
- Arkansas (5-3) – lost to Auburn 56-3
- Ole Miss (3-4) – lost to LSU 38-21
- Georgia (4-3) – OFF WEEK
- Kentucky (4-3) – beat Mississippi State 40-38
- Vanderbilt (4-4) – beat Tennessee State 35-17
- Mississippi State (2-5) – lost to Kentucky 40-38
- Missouri (2-5) – lost to Middle Tennessee 51-45
- South Carolina (3-4) – beat UMass 34-28