This month, we’re diving into summer with our first beach read of the season, The Stories We Tell by Patti Callahan Henry. Set in Savannah, the latest novel from the Birmingham writer centers on Eve and Cooper Morrison, whose 21-year marriage may not be the fairy tale it seems. When Eve’s sister and Cooper are involved in a car accident, the Morrison family is turned upside down, and Eve is soon on a quest to find out the truth of what really happened.
Full of twists and turns, this book will be one that you just can't put down. The Stories We Tell won’t hit shelves until June 24, but enter for a chance to win signed copies for your book club today! Details below. For now, here’s our quick Sip & Flip guide to help you get the discussion started at your next book club gathering. We kept it brief to leave plenty of time for mingling.
5-Question Reading Guide
- Let’s talk about the title of this book – The Stories We Tell. What do you believe the author means by “stories?” What are the stories we tell in a relationship as we come to know each other?
- The art and craft of letterpress is an integral part of the story. What do you think about Eve’s obsession with typography, letterpress machines, and fonts? How does it fit in with the notion of “stories?”
- What do you think of the term “financial infidelity”? In what ways do you think this kind of infidelity breaches ethics? Or does it?
- The Ten Good Ideas came from Willa and Eve’s childhood remodeling of The Ten Commandments. What ideas, as both a child and an adult, would you include in this list? Which idea resonated the most with you?
- Savannah, as a city, seems almost like a character in the novel. In what ways does this distinct setting influence the story? Would this have been a different kind of story if set elsewhere?
Enter to win! Comment below with your must-have beach read of the season and why it should be on everyone’s summer reading list for a chance to win 10 signed copies of The Stories We Tell. Official Rules.