We sent Bill Addison, Atlanta restaurant critic and former pastry chef, in search of the best cakes, cookies, breads, pastries, and pies. A whopping 80,000 calories later, here are the bakeries that sated his sweet tooth.
Photo: Chris M. Rogers
Oh, the beauty of a statuesque layer cake, always the belle on a buffet of Southern desserts. The cakes I love from these five bakeries possess professional twists—a finesse to the presentation or a unique flavor combination that would make it darn tricky to pass off as your own at an office party or family reunion.
- Alpine Bakery & Trattoria; Atlanta, GA
- Honey Bee Bakery; Oxford, MS
- Maxie B's; Greensboro, NC
- Sugar Bakeshop; Charleston, SC
- Sweet Art by Lucila; Miami, FL