North and South Carolina both have towns named Beaufort, but each is pronounced differently. In North Carolina, it's BOH-fort, as if the "beau" is a suitor. In South Carolina, it's BEW-fort, so think "beautiful."
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Crystal Coast Tourism Authority Visitors Center: www.crystalcoastnc.org or (252) 726-8148.
JUST THE FACTS
- AmeriSuites Atlantic Beach: (252) 247-5118
- The Inlet Inn: 1-800-554-5466
- Sheraton Atlantic Beach: 1-800-624-8875
- Arts & Things: (252) 240-1979
- Dee Gee's Books and Gifts: (252) 726-3314
- North Carolina Maritime Museum: (252) 728-7317
- Tierra Fina: (252) 504-2789
- Beaufort Grocery Company: (252) 728-3899
- Cox's: (252) 726-6961
- Front Street Grille at Stillwater: (252) 728-4956
- The Sandbar: (252) 504-7263
- Watermark: (252) 240-2811
- Cape Lookout National Seashore: www.nps.gov/calo
- Fort Macon State Park: (252) 726-3775
- Kites Unlimited and Bird Stuff: (252) 247-7011
A NOTE TO OUR READERS:
"Cruising the Carolina Coast" is from the May 2007 issue of Southern Living. Because prices, dates, and other specifics are subject to change, please check all information to make sure it's still current before making your travel plans.