Outdoors enthusiasts like me cannot pass up a visit to Unicoi Outfitters, a fly-fishing store upstream from the mill. In addition to top-of-the-line fishing gear, they keep a stable of experienced guides to help you find those elusive mountain trout. Next door, Wildwood Outfitters offers rafting, canoe, and kayak trips on the Chattahoochee as well as merchandise for the well-appointed outdoorsperson.
Steve promises more to come--much more. So I think I'll plan another detour through Helen's Nacoochee Village. I'm looking forward to more pleasant surprises.
IT TAKES A VILLAGE
Nacoochee Village is located 1/2 mile south of Helen on State 75. You can find more information at www.nacoocheevillage.com.
- Chattahoochee Candle Company, (706) 878-7668
- Cross Creek Stables, (706) 878-1600
- Habersham Winery, (706) 878-9463
- Nacoochee Antique Mall, (706) 878-4069
- Nacoochee Grill, (706) 878-8020
- Nora Mill Granary, (706) 878-2375
- Outside Chance Vacation Rentals, (706) 878-1253
- School House Gallery and Art Academy, (706) 878-8240
- Unicoi Outfitters, (706) 878-3083
- Wildwood Outfitters, (706) 878-1700
This article is from the August 2001 issue of Southern Living. Because prices, dates, and other specifics are subject to change, please check all information to make sure it's still current before making your travel plans.