The rooftop pool at Virginia Beach's Hilton Oceanfront blends into the view of the Atlantic.
Where To Stay
- Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront sports fabulous views and remarkable dining. Rates from $259. www.hiltonvb.com or (757) 213-3000.
- Sheraton Virginia Beach, a recently remodeled beachfront with pretty granite baths. Rates from $209. www.sheratonvirginiabeach.com or (757) 425-9000.
- The Sanctuary at False Cape, with handsome condo units, sits 15 miles south of the resort area. Weekly rates from $1,260. www.sanctuaryresortva.com or (757) 457-0050.
- The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center rises from this shopping area 8 miles from the beach. Rates from $159 on weekends. www.starwoodhotels.com/westin or (757) 557-0550.
Where To Shop
- The Shoppes at 31 Ocean sit across the street from the Hilton. Go to Jody’s for flavored popcorn. The best accessories shop in town is The Globe, featuring linens from Provence and Murano glass jewelry. www.31ocean.com.
- Town Center offers name-brand shops such as 346 Brooks Brothers and Origins and after-you’ve-shopped spots such as the Funny Bone Comedy Club and Keagan’s Irish Pub. www.vabeachtowncenter.com.
Where To Dine
- Catch 31 at the Hilton attracts locals from the entire Hampton Roads area for seafood. You can dine outside by the fire pit for a casual meal with a sea breeze.
- Dress up for Salacia, an upscale seafood/steak house with impeccable service.
- Terrapin offers sophisticated dinners of local seafood, vegetables, and meats.
- Congregate in Rudee Inlet where two spots, Rudee’s and Rockafeller’s, welcome the day’s end with libations and fresh food.
- Sonoma Wine Bar & Bistro (in the Town Center) mixes an after-work scene with small plates of appetizers, entrées, and the region’s best wine list by the glass.
- Go to Doc Taylor’s for breakfast and comfort food in a revamped bungalow.
"New at the Beach" is from the June 2008 issue of Southern Living. Because prices, dates, and other specifics are subject to change, please check all information to make sure it's still current before making your travel plans.