Hurricane Matthew touched the ground in Haiti as a Category 4 hurricane with winds approaching 145 mph.
The storm may make landfall in South Florida on Thursday.
Below is a roundup of upcoming sports events that may be effected:
• UCF and Tulane have agreed to postpone the football game scheduled for Friday evening until Saturday, Nov. 5.
• Albany State at Charleston Southern and Bethune-Cookman at South Carolina State college football games have also been postponed.
• Saturday night's game between Georgia and South Carolina might also be in jeopardy.
• Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Mularkey said the team's game against the Dolphins in Miami could be moved to Nashville if the weather worsens.
• Baseball's Florida Instructional League has canceled the end of the season, which was expected to end this week.
• The Miami Heat will fly to Houston on Wednesday to practice amid fears that powerful Hurricane Matthew could affect the Miami area this week. A preseason game against the Nets is scheduled for next Tuesday.
• The Gulfstream Park West announced live thoroughbred races for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were canceled.
• The Florida Panthers have cancelled their preseason match against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
• Florida initially said it did not plan to move the Gators' upcoming game against LSU at noon on Saturday, but has since decided to call off the game. Louisiana senior senator David Vitter wrote a letter expressing concern over the decision not to adjust the game time or venue.
• Saturday's Miami Hurricanes game against Florida State in South Florida is schedule for 8 p.m. and has not been changed.
• Saturday's South Carolina vs. Georgia game will be played on Sunday, the teams announced on Thursday.