These dishes fill our tummies and satisfy our nostalgic cravings. If you note the absence of fried chicken entries, don't fret. We'll serve up a batch just for you in an upcoming issue.
73. Big Bob Gibson's Bar-B-Q, Decatur, AL; (256) 350-6969. Barbecue chicken with white sauce from a secret recipe.
74. The Bourbon Mall, Bourbon, MS; (662) 686-4389. One of the best steaks in the South.
75. Czech Stop and Little Czech Bakery, West, TX; (254) 826-5316 or www.west-tx.com/czechstop/home.htm. An authentic Czechoslovakian bakery serving fruit and sausage kolaches.
76. Daily Grill, Washington, D.C.; (202) 822-5282 or www.dailygrill.com. Soul-satisfying beef tips and mashed potatoes.
77. Deli Den Restaurant, Hollywood, FL; (954) 961-4070. Corned beef sandwiches, pastrami, smoked fish, pickled everything, breads, and pastries.
78. The Hollywood Brown Derby, MGM Studios, Orlando, FL; (407) 939-3463. The cobb salad here rivals its Los Angeles original counterpart.
79. Jestine's Kitchen, Charleston, SC; (843) 722-7224. Down-home food that's fresh, well-prepared, and a notch above.
80. Joe Allen's Pit Bar-B-Que, Abilene, TX; (325) 672-6082. Steaks hand-cut to your specifications.
81. The Landing, Natchitoches, LA; (318) 352-1579. Meat pies from the town made famous when Steel Magnolias was filmed there.
82. Lynn's Paradise Café, Louisville, KY; (502) 583-3447 or www.lynnsparadisecafe.com. Their heralded macaroni and cheese is one of the ultimate comfort foods.
83. Magnolias, Charleston, SC; (843) 577-7771. Shrimp and grits--just how the Lord intended them.
84. May Lodge Dining Room at Jenny Wiley State Resort Park, Prestonsburg, KY; (606) 886-2711 (ext. 2179). The view makes the buffet extra special.
85. McLain's Family Steak House, De Funiak Springs, FL; (850) 892-2402. Good fried chicken just off I-10. Lots of food for cheap.
86. Niki's West, Birmingham, AL; (205) 252-5751. More than 30 tasty, fresh veggies and salads plus a dozen meats.
87. Nu-Way Weiners, Macon, GA; (478) 743-1368 or www.nu-wayweiners.com. Hot dogs loaded with chili, mustard, and onions.
88. The Original Point Restaurant, Perdido Key, FL; (850) 492-3577 or www.point-restaurant.com. Hush puppies served with bluegrass music on weekends.
89. Pell City Steak House, Pell City, AL; (205) 338-7714. Giant onion rings fried in a light batter.
90. State Fair of Texas, Dallas, TX; (214) 565-9931 or www.bigtex.com. Fletcher's Corny Dogs, dipped in cornmeal batter and fried while you watch. Open September 24-October 17.
91. The Varsity, Atlanta, GA; (404) 881-1706. Fried peach pies and onion rings stand out.