This article originally appeared on Real Simple
1. What’s the nicest thing that anyone has done for you this year?
2. What’s the nicest thing that you’ve seen someone else—friend, family member, teacher, coach—do for another person?
3. If you had one superpower that you could use to make a difference in the world, what would it be? What would you do with it?
4. What are you most grateful for that doesn’t cost money?
5. One nontalky project: “My kids make huge place cards for each guest, and while we are cocktailing, everyone walks around and writes what they are grateful for about that person on his or her card,” says sociologist Christine Carter.