Tortellini, White Bean, and Turnip Greens Soup Recipe
This recipe comes together in a snap and makes a delicious and comforting dinner for a cold winter night. Start by sautéing yellow onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. The ingredient list calls for six cups of roughly chopped turnip greens. At first look, it will appear to be far more than needed, but add the greens in two batches and they’ll quickly wilt and cook down. Vegetable broth, cannellini beans, and a can of diced tomatoes with Italian spices are added next. To keep this recipe quick and easy, we opted for refrigerated cheese tortellini. Once the tortellini is added to the soup, it will only take about 4 minutes to cook. Before serving, top each bowlful with Parmesan. We love serving this hearty soup with a thick slice of crusty French bread. This recipe makes 4 servings, but can easily be doubled to serve a larger family or for casual entertaining. Soup is the original one-pot meal. Throw the ingredients in, let it cook, and enjoy. There’s nothing more comforting when the weather outside is frightful than a big pot of warm and satisfying soup. This recipe is no exception. If you’re looking for comfort food fast, our Turnip Green, White Bean, and Tortellini Soup is a winner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1 small onion)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery (about 1 stalk)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot (about 1 medium carrot)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 clove)
- 6 cups roughly chopped turnip greens
- 1 (32-oz.) container vegetable broth
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, undrained
- 1 (9-oz.) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
How to Make
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, until onion is tender and celery and carrot are almost tender, about 8 minutes. Add turnip greens, in 2 batches, stirring until wilted after each addition. Stir in broth, beans, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil over medium-high. Add tortellini, and cook until pasta is tender, about 4 minutes. Top with Parmesan.