Thyme-Scented White Bean and Sausage Stew Recipe
This hearty stew is full of warm and comforting flavors. Carrots, parsnips, onion, and garlic are sautéed in a splash of olive oil until they’re just barely tender. Once the veggies are added to the slow cooker, smoked Italian sausage, great Northern beans, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, dried thyme, salt, pepper, and a bay leaf are piled in. The stew will cook on LOW for 8 hours or until the vegetables are tender. While the stew cooks, an addictive topping of butter, panko, Parmesan cheese, and parsley is pulled together. Each serving of soup will receive a healthy dose of the panko mixture. The crunchy, buttery bits are an utterly decadent finishing touch to an already flavorful stew. Serve Thyme-Scented White Bean and Sausage Stew with a crunchy piece of French bread and a small spinach salad for a complete meal that will satisfy the whole family. Check out our Savory Soups and Stews collection for even more comforting recipes. From tomato soup to beef stew, our recipe collection has something for everyone.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-thick peeled and diagonally cut carrot slices (about 4 carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-thick peeled and diagonally cut parsnip slices (about 4 parsnips)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound smoked Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 (15-oz.) cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 1 ounce pre-shredded Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
How to Make
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add onion, carrots, parsnips, and garlic; cover and cook until barely tender, about 5 minutes. Place mixture in a 5-quart slow cooker. Add sausage, beans, tomatoes, broth, thyme, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW until vegetables are tender, about 8 hours.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium. Add panko, and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Combine panko mixture, cheese, and parsley in a small bowl. Remove and discard bay leaf; top stew with panko mixture before serving.