Sweet-and-Spicy Short Ribs with Egg Noodles Recipe
You’ll love these fall-off-the-bone short ribs flavored with chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and a touch of brown sugar. The beef simmers with beer, tomatoes, and pearl onions to create a rich and delicious sauce that is incredible served over egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Either way, you won’t want to waste a drop.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 (9-oz.) beef short ribs, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle lager beer
- 3 cups chopped plum tomatoes (about 6 medium tomatoes)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
How to Make
Preheat oven to 325°F. Stir together chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and black pepper; sprinkle over ribs. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high. Add ribs, and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove ribs from Dutch oven; wipe Dutch oven clean.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to Dutch oven. Add pearl onions; cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add beer, and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping to loosen browned bits from bottom of Dutch oven. Boil until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, bay leaves, and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Add ribs, bone side up; bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to preheated oven. Bake until ribs are very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
Prepare noodles according to package directions, and place in a medium bowl. Add butter, parsley, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, stirring until butter is melted.
Remove and discard bay leaves from Dutch oven. Serve ribs and onion mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with thyme.