Steak and Peppers with Rice Recipe
This filling and savory steak and rice has the all of the hands-off ease of a slow cooker recipe, but with tons of flavor and texture. The meat and peppers slowly simmer and caramelize with beef stock, soy sauce, and tomato paste in your slow cooker, creating a deep and rich sauce. We like serving this dish over steamed yellow rice, but you can substitute white or brown rice, egg noodles, or even serve the steak and peppers in warmed tortillas, as tacos. Be sure to sear the sliced beef before you add it to the slow cooker. Browning the meat will improve the appearance and give it more flavor.
- 2 1/2 pounds chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup unsalted beef stock
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (5-oz.) pkg. uncooked yellow rice, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
How to Make
Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and black pepper. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high. Cook beef, in batches, turning to brown on all sides, about 1 minute per side. Whisk together stock, soy sauce, and tomato paste in a small bowl.
Place bell peppers and onion in a 5 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Place beef on vegetables, and pour stock mixture over beef and vegetables. Cover and cook on LOW until beef is tender and vegetables are softened and beginning to caramelize, about 7 hours.