Red Velvet Hot ChocolateWith a sweet cream cheese "frosting" and chopped milk chocolate, this take on red velvet cake will knock the socks off your guests.
Sausage and Squash Lasagna Recipe
4 Hours, 57 Minutes
10 (serving size: about 1 cup)
- 9 ounces part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 ounce Asiago cheese, grated and divided (about ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, divided
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 large yellow crookneck squash, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 1 large zucchini, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- Cooking Spray
- 8 ounces hot Italian pork sausage links, casings removed
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 (3.5-oz.) packages shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 (25-oz.) jar lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as Dell'Amore)
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 3 ounces fontina cheese, shredded and divided (about ¾ cup)
How to Make
Combine ricotta, 2 tablespoons Asiago cheese, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon. chives, pepper, and 1 garlic clove, grated, in a bowl; set aside.
Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large skillet; stir in red wine vinegar. Add squash and zucchini; cook 2 minutes. Drain.
Heat skillet over medium-high. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage; cook 7 minutes, stirring to crumble. Stir in onion; cook 8 minutes or until onion is tender.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add mushrooms; cook 10 minutes or until mushroom liquid nearly evaporates. Mince remaining 5 garlic cloves; stir into mushrooms. Stir in stock, basil, and marinara. Bring to a boil; remove from heat.
To assemble lasagna, spoon 1 cup marinara mixture into the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Top with 4 noodles, breaking noodles to fit cooker. Layer half of squash mixture, half of sausage mixture, and ¼ cup fontina cheese over noodles; top with 1 cup marinara mixture. Arrange 4 noodles over marinara mixture; top with ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with ¼ cup fontina; top with remaining half of sausage mixture and remaining half of squash mixture. Arrange remaining 4 noodles over squash mixture; top with remaining 1 ½ cups sauce. Cover and cook on LOW 4 hours.
Preheat broiler. Uncover slow cooker, and sprinkle lasagna with remaining ¼ cup fontina cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons Asiago cheese. Broil on middle rack of oven for 2 minutes or until cheese browns slightly. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.