Our Best Barbecue Side DishesFrom potato salad to hush puppies, prepare these delicious dishes.
Pam Lolley’s Crispy Chicken with Rice and Pan Gravy Recipe
Serves 6 (serving size: 1 chicken breast, about 2/3 cup rice, 1/3 cup gravy)
- 6 (6-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups hot, cooked long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
How to Make
Prepare the Chicken: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, and flatten to about 3/4-inch thickness, using a rolling pin or flat side of a meat mallet. Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
Whisk together eggs and milk in a shallow dish. Stir together panko, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in another shallow dish. Dip chicken, 1 piece at a time, in egg mixture, shaking off excess; dredge in panko mixture, coating well and pressing to adhere.
Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook 3 chicken breasts in skillet until golden, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan, and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining butter, oil, and chicken. Bake in preheated oven until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Prepare the Herbed Rice: Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and stir until butter is melted. Serve with chicken and Pan Gravy.