One-Pan Chicken with Lemon, Olives, and Artichokes Recipe
You’ll love the bold flavors of this Mediterranean-inspired dish. Lemony chicken and artichokes are topped with a bright and tangy relish of green olives, parsley, and thyme. We love serving this dish over pearl couscous to soak up the delicious pan sauce, but you can swap it out for rice or even pasta.
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves (about 3 1⁄2 lb.)
- 1 11/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 (14-oz.) cans whole artichokes, drained and halved
- 2 small red onions, vertically sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Castelvetrano or picholine olives, pitted and divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups cooked pearl couscous
How to Make
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Pat chicken dry, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon of the pepper. Dust chicken with 2 tablespoons of the flour.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large, enameled cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add half of chicken to skillet, and cook until brown on both sides, about 6 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken to a platter; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining half of chicken. Add artichokes, onion, and 1 cup of the olives to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is just softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons flour to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Add broth, lemon slices, and 1 tablespoon of the thyme, scraping bottom of skillet to loosen any browned bits. Return chicken to skillet, nestling into sauce. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Uncover and cook until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°F, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, coarsely chop remaining 1⁄2 cup olives. Combine chopped olives, parsley, and remaining 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper.
Serve chicken, artichoke mixture, and chopped olive-herb mixture over couscous.