The Southern Living Guide to Mayonnaise BrandsEssential reading on a most essential condiment
Ham and Lima Bean Fried Rice Recipe
Serves 4 (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen baby lima beans
- 5 scallions
- 3 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup (about 8 oz.) cubed ham
- 2/3 cup matchstick carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 2 (8.8-oz.) pouches microwavable white rice (such as Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice), prepared according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
How to Make
Cook lima beans in boiling water to cover in a medium saucepan over medium-high until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, thinly slice green parts of scallions, and set aside. Thinly slice white parts of scallions, and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Pour beaten egg into skillet; sprinkle with salt, and cook, without stirring, until egg is set on top and lightly browned on the bottom, about 1 minute. Flip and cook 20 seconds. Transfer cooked egg to a cutting board; fold in half, and roughly chop.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet over medium-high. Add white scallion slices, ham, carrots, and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until ham is lightly browned and vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Add rice and sesame oil; cook, stirring constantly, until rice is hot, about 2 minutes. Stir in chopped egg, soy sauce, lima beans, and green scallion slices.