Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Arugula Pesto Recipe
Fire up the grill! These tasty grilled chicken kebabs come together in 30 minutes, perfect for a casual alfresco meal. If you’ve never added baby arugula to homemade pesto, prepare for a real treat. The peppery salad greens liven up a traditional basil pesto, adding a bit of heat and turning the sauce a vivid, bright green hue. Use the pesto to flavor these chicken breast, zucchini, yellow squash, and Vidalia onion kebabs, then serve the remaining sauce on the side for dipping, along with plenty of crusty bread so you won’t waste a drop. (And if you really want to do it up—a bottle of crisp white wine would go wonderfully with this meal.) You’ll love this simple but sophisticated supper.
- 2 cups packed baby arugula leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 small garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1⁄4-inchthick slices, then cut into half-moons (about 1 1⁄2 cups)
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices, then cut into half-moons (about 1 1⁄2 cups)
- 1 small Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 8 wedges and separated into pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 1/4 pounds
How to Make
Place arugula, basil, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and 4 tablespoons of the oil in the bowl of a mini food processor; pulse until smooth, about 10 times, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
Place zucchini, squash, and onion in a medium bowl; toss with vinegar, 2 tablespoons of the pesto, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Place chicken pieces in a separate bowl, and toss with 2 tablespoons of the pesto.
Preheat grill to medium-high (about 450°F). Thread chicken and vegetables alternately onto each of 8 (6-inch) bamboo skewers. Place kebabs on oiled grates; grill, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender and lightly charred, about 4 minutes per side. Serve chicken-and-vegetable kebabs with remaining pesto.