Easy Enchilada Bake Recipe
Enchiladas are easier than ever when made in the slow cooker! Start by mixing together a can of enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, chicken, salsa, cilantro, and diced green chiles. Add the mixture to the slow cooker and cook on the LOW setting for three hours. Next, spoon the batter (eggs, roasted bell peppers, muffin mixed, remaining diced green chiles) over the bean mix in the slow cooker. Put the cover back on and cook on LOW about an hour, or until the cornbread is done. Sprinkle six ounces of pre-shredded Mexican four-cheese blend over the enchiladas and serve. The recipe calls for a garnish of cilantro, but you’re welcome to try additional toppings like halved cherry tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, and/or scallions. Because our Easy Enchilada Bake doesn’t have a long cook time (as far as slow cooker recipes go) you might want to run home on your lunch break to turn on the slow cooker if you are going to be at the office all day—rather than setting the slow cooker in the morning.
- 1 (19-oz.) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11-oz.) can yellow corn with red and green bell peppers, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup mild salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 (4-oz.) can diced green chiles, drained, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped jarred roasted red bell peppers
- 1 (8 1/2-oz.) package corn muffin mix
- 6 ounces pre-shredded Mexican four-cheese blend (about 1 1/2 cups)
How to Make
Stir together enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, chicken, salsa, scallions, and 1/4 cup each of the chopped cilantro and diced green chiles in a lightly greased 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 3 hours.
Whisk eggs in a medium bowl; stir in roasted bell peppers, muffin mix, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons diced green chiles. Spoon batter over bean mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW until cornbread is done, about 1 hour. Sprinkle cheese over cornbread. Increase heat to HIGH; cover and cook until cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Spoon into shallow bowls. Garnish with cilantro.