Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken Cutlets with Roasted Broccoli and Parmesan Cream Sauce Recipe
Even if you have made oven-fried chicken countless times before, this might become your new favorite recipe. The chicken is dredged in a flavorful mixture of melted butter and Dijon mustard before being coated in crushed cornflakes and panko, for maximum crunch. When paired with caramelized roasted broccoli and a smooth parmesan cream sauce. We upgraded a classic béchamel sauce (or white sauce) with the addition of Parmesan cheese and a touch of lemon juice for brightness. Any grated Parmesan cheese will work in this sauce, but the salty-sweet flavor of Parmigiano-Reggiano will really take it over the top. Try serving the sauce with the roasted broccoli for a fancy take on the usual steamed broccoli with cheese sauce. Have some fresh herbs on hand? Add a tablespoon of minced fresh herbs to the sauce along with the salt and pepper. Basil, thyme, parsley, or sage would be delicious additions. This is a winning dinner recipe for any night of the week.
Oven-Fried Chicken Cutlets
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes cereal
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 chicken breast cutlets (about 1 1/4 lb.)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound fresh broccoli florets (about 8 cups)
Parmesan Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
How to Make
Preheat oven to 400°F. Stir together butter, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and black pepper in a medium bowl. Stir together panko, cornflakes, and Parmesan in a second shallow bowl. Dip chicken in butter mixture; dredge in panko mixture, pressing to adhere. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven until chicken is browned and done, about 17 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir together oil, garlic, crushed red pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl. Add broccoli, and toss to coat. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, and roast at 400°F until broccoli is browned and tender, about 17 minutes.
Melt butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high. Whisk in all-purpose flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in whole milk. Bring to a boil, and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in grated Parmesan cheese, fresh lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Serve immediately.