Chicken with Mushrooms and Wine Recipe
Now this is a company-worthy slow-cooker dish. Chicken thighs, bacon, cremini mushrooms, baby carrots, onion, garlic, white wine, English peas, and a dash of fresh lemon juice are just a few of the delicious flavors you’ll find in our Chicken with Mushrooms and Wine. It will take just over four and a half hours for this recipe to come together, but only requires 35 minutes of hands-on time. With this winner of a chicken dinner there’s no need to be scurrying around the kitchen moments before guests arrive. Just set the slow cooker and let it do its thing. Transfer chicken to a serving platter and top with sauce and chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for an elegant presentation.
- 6 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (2 1/2 to 3 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (8-oz.) package cremini mushrooms, stems removed, halved
- 1 (6-oz.) package baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen English peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
How to Make
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chicken thighs in flour, shaking off excess.
Heat 1 tablespoon unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add 3 chicken thighs, and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Wipe skillet clean, and repeat process with remaining butter, oil, and chicken thighs. Place chicken in a 5 quart slow cooker. Discard drippings, and wipe skillet clean.
Add bacon slices to skillet, and cook over medium until crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain; reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Add mushrooms, carrots, and onion to skillet, and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Add wine, and cook, stirring often, until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil.
Pour mushroom mixture over chicken; cover and cook on LOW until chicken is cooked through, about 4 hours. Add peas; cover and cook 5 minutes. Transfer chicken thighs to a serving platter. Skim excess fat from sauce, and discard. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Spoon sauce over chicken.