Chicken and Charred Succotash Salad Recipe
This colorful salad makes a lovely light supper and is delicious for lunch the next day, even served cold. We prefer using fresh corn in this dish, but if it’s not corn season, you can use frozen corn. If you use frozen corn, make sure the kernels are patted dry before adding to the skillet; the water might steam the veggies instead of letting them char. Make this salad heartier (and even healthier) by adding a cup of cooked whole grains, such as quinoa, brown rice, or farro. The corn, green beans, red bell pepper, zucchini, and tomatoes make this summer salad bright, just like the season.
- 4 (6-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh yellow corn kernels (from 1 ear)
- 2 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (from 1 medium bell pepper)
- 1 cup half-moon sliced zucchini (from 1 small zucchini)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
How to Make
Preheat oven to 400°F. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high until shimmering; add chicken, and cook until browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet, and bake in preheated oven until a thermometer inserted in thickest part registers 165°F, 12 to 13 minutes.
Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons of the oil to skillet; swirl to coat. Add green beans, corn, and scallions; cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are bright green and slightly charred, about 4 minutes. Add red bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add zucchini; cook until charred and tender-crisp, about 4 more minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
Remove chicken from oven, and let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine vinegar, tarragon, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons oil until combined. Slice chicken, and serve over salad. Drizzle with dressing.
If you choose frozen vegetables for this recipe, pat them dry before adding to the skillet so they char (rather than steam) in the pan.