Our Best Barbecue Side DishesFrom potato salad to hush puppies, prepare these delicious dishes.
Large-foliaged plants with showy terminal blossom spikes that attract hummingbirds. Stems are soft wooded, more herbaceous than shrubby. Similar to Justicia, another member of the same family.
- Native to the West Indies and South America.
- Lanky- looking plant to 5 feet or taller, 23 feet wide; for a tidier look, cut back established plants in late winter.
- Oval, prominently veined leaves to 8 inches long.
- Summertime flower spikes reach about 6 inches long, with green bracts and tubular, 2 inches-long blossoms in blazing scarlet.
- Give light shade, well-drained soil, regular water.
yellow shrimp plant, lollipop plant
- Native to Peru.
- To 36 feet tall, 112212 feet wide, with narrow, dark green leaves to 5 inches long.
- Pinch tips during growing season, and cut plant back in winter to reduce lankiness.
- Blooms constantly in warm weather, bearing 3- to 6 inches-long spikes of neatly overlapping golden yellow bracts; flowers are slender white tubes that emerge from between the bracts.
- Good for massing and in mixed borders.
- Give full sun or light shade, moderate water.