In the South, bakeries that excel in artisan breads and pastries are scarce. We tend to grow up on plain ol' white bread—an appreciation for rustic loaves can be an acquired taste. And as someone who used to labor over meringues and mousses to construct picture-perfect pastries, I still feel awe for chefs who forge stunners equally pleasing to the eye and palate.
- Bluegrass Baking Company; Lexington, KY
- H&F Bread Co.; Atlanta, GA
- Poupart Bakery Inc.; Lafayette, LA
- Upper Crust Bakery; Austin, TX
- Wildflour Pastry; Charleston, SC