Weekend Guide: Seaside, FL
The Seaside we know and love may be undergoing some modifications, but it's only getting better.
Having fun here is all about being outdoors. Everyone travels on foot or bike ($20 per bike for 24 hours; visit the rental shop on Central Square).
Lounge by one of the many community pools (a privilege when you book with Cottage Rental Agency), frolic in the Gulf, rent a kayak or canoe, go fishing, or simply take a nap in a hammock. When you check in at the office, pay the extra $5 for a walking tour booklet. It's worth it and will make your outdoor adventures more enjoyable.
If you're a shopper, swing by our favorite toy store, Quincy, for stuffed friends, games, art supplies, and hard-to-find playthings of yesteryear. Then stop by Fusion Art Glass Gallery in the new Gateway Building to ogle over the works of the more than 200 artists represented.
For bookworms or music junkies, a visit to Sundog Books & Central Square Records satisfies. It's an independently owned joint for literary types who love everything from a cheesy beach paperback to a book of dark poetry. A trip to The Seaside Store for a T-shirt is a requirement before you leave town.
Tons of new stores and restaurants continue to pop up every time you blink here, so Seaside is like one big adventure. Enjoy.
Here's a smattering of the proposed changes at Seaside.
• The View: Better views of the water from the road (meaning some buildings will move, including the sweet and tiny post office)
• Pending: a move of the popular Bud & Alley's restaurant (not for at least two years, if ever) and a possible shifting of Perspicasity, the outdoor market, to the other side of 30A
• Time frame: "It might take 10 years or more to accomplish everything we have in mind," says Robert Davis. "But that's the beauty of Seaside. It doesn't really matter how long it takes."
Down To Details
• Goatfeathers II Seafood Market: (850) 231-4004
• Modica Market: www.modicamarket.com or (850) 231-1214
• Bud & Alley's: www.budandalleys.com or (850) 231-5900
• The Old Florida Fish House and Bar: (850) 534-3045
• Quincy: www.quincyshop.com or (850) 231-0874
• Fusion Art Glass Gallery: www.fusionartglass.com or (850) 231-5405
• Sundog Books & Central Square Records: www.sundogbooks.com or (850) 231-5481
• The Seaside Store: 1-888-850-8337
"Relax By the Sea" is from the September 2007 issue of Southern Living. Because prices, dates, and other specifics are subject to change, please check all information to make sure it's still current before making your travel plans.