204 Food Finds Across the Region
Our staff picks the South's best flavors.
Bakeries and Bread
1. Amon's Sugar Shack, Somerset, KY; (606) 679-7130. This doughnut shop and restaurant keeps winning national acclaim.
2. Café Du Monde, New Orleans, LA; (504) 525-4544 or www.cafedumonde.com. Making beignets famous since 1862.
3. Chuy's Hula Hut, Austin, TX; (512) 476-4852. Hand-tossed tortillas.
4. Dietz Bakery, Fredericksburg, TX; (830) 997-3250. Their homemade white bread often sells out by 10 a.m.
5. Donut Hole, Destin, FL; (850) 837-8824. Great doughnuts and pastries; loaves of raisin bread may be gone by noon.
6. Dutch Maid Bakery, Tracy City, TN; (931) 592-3171 or www.dutch-maid.com. Salt-rising bread in a country store setting.
7. Mrs. Hanes' Moravian Cookies, Clemmons, NC; 1-888-764-1402 or www.hanescookies.com. Cookies so light, they're like eating sugared air.
8. Otherlands Coffee Bar and Exotic Gifts, Memphis, TN; (901) 278-4994. Zucchini bread that is so fresh you can see the vegetables.
9. Serenity Farm Bread, Leslie, AR; (870) 447-2211. The aroma of the sourdough bread alone will win you over.
10. Vaccaro's Italian Pastry Shop, Baltimore, MD; (410) 685-4905 or www.vaccarospastry.com. Bottomless cups of coffee and all-you-can-eat desserts on Monday nights.
11. Yoders Bulk Foods, Sebree, KY; (270) 884-3111. Handmade loaf breads from an Amish bakery.