Flat-out Beautiful Espalier
Train an evergreen to grow against a wall with these easy steps.
Brightbead cotoneaster (Cotoneaster lacteus, also sold as C. parneyi) is shown above. It’s suitable for everywhere but the Tropical South. Also consider using these other evergreens in espaliers.
- Blue Atlas cedar (Cedrus atlantica ‘Glauca’)―US, MS, LS
- Chinese fringe (Loropetalum chinense)―MS, LS, CS
- Firethorn (Pyracantha sp.)―US, MS, LS, CS
- Lemon bottlebrush (Callistemon citrinus)―LS, CS, TS
- ‘Little Gem’ Southern magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora ‘Little Gem’)―US, MS, LS, CS
- Sasanqua camellia (Camellia sasanqua)―MS, LS, CS
US = Upper South, MS = Middle South, LS = Lower South, CS = Coastal South, TS = Tropical South