Who doesn’t want pretty, dream-kitchen cabinets? Everyone does, but few can make custom cabinetry a reality. A quick trip to the local home-improvement store will leave you pleasantly surprised. Stock and semicustom cabinetry lines offer abundant features: styles galore, custom layouts, and clever storage options. The most affordable type, stock cabinetry comes in a limited number of finishes and door styles, ships quickly, and assembles easily. A bit more expensive, semicustom cabinetry offers more styles and details than stock and is built to order. Take advantage of store employees who are trained to walk you through the process from selection to installation. They can even create free computerized layouts of your kitchen. If you’re still overwhelmed, hire an architect or kitchen designer at a reasonable hourly rate. With the money saved on cabinetry, splurge on something else you’ve been dreaming about. Marble countertops, perhaps?
Our Favorite Stock and SemiCustom Cabinetry Lines
- KraftMaid, a semicustom line available in 5 wood types, more than 65 finishes, and more than 150 door styles; kraftmaid.com for retailers
- Merillat, stock cabinets ready for installation five to seven days from placing an order; merillat.com for retailers
- Diamond, a semicustom line with plenty of close-to-custom storage and organizational options; diamondcabinets.com for retailers
- IKEA, stock cabinets available in 12 door styles and 6 accent door styles in a range of finishes; ikea.com/us
- Shenandoah Cabinetry, Virginia-based eco-friendly stock cabinet line that uses woods primarily from Appalachian forests and carries more than 250 door styles; shenandoahcabinetry.com
- Homecrest Cabinetry, a semicustom line offering 18 door styles with endless design options through its CustomChoice program; homecrestcab.com for retailers