Slim Down With Dairy
Make these calorie-burning recipes part of your daily regimen.
We all know that calcium-rich milk and other dairy foods are good for strong bones and prevention of osteoporosis. Reduced- or low-fat dairy is also good for your waistline. At least three servings a day can help you burn more calories and fat than just exercising alone. Start with these tasty and good-for-you dishes. All contain low-fat products that promise great flavor without all the calories.
Dairy Does a Body Good
It's no secret that diet and exercise are the key factors in maintaining a healthy weight, but eating low-fat dairy can help you reach your goal more effectively.
- Include low-fat foods such as part-skim mozzarella, low-fat ricotta or cottage cheese, and one-third-less-fat cream cheese in your diet.
- Top whole grain crackers with reduced-fat spreadable cheese for a snack.
- Use plain yogurt, light sour cream, and 2% cheese as toppings for chili and baked potatoes.
- Whip up a quick smoothie or shake with low-fat ice cream or frozen yogurt.
- Make vegetable dips, sandwich spreads, and picnic salads with light sour cream or low-fat yogurt.
"Slim Down With Dairy" is from the October 2007 issue of Southern Living.
- Research suggests that adequate calcium from dairy can reduce the risk of colorectal cancer and hypertension.
- Probiotics in yogurt can help suppress pathogenic bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract, improve lactose tolerance, and strengthen your immune system.