Summer Salad Recipes:
- Strawberry-Chicken Salad
- Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Shrimp-and-Artichoke Salad
- Honey Chicken Salad
- Tropical Spinach Salad With Grilled Shrimp
- Citrus Marinade
- Fresh Basil Vinaigrette
- Tropical Spinach Salad With Grilled Chicken
- Tropical Spinach Salad With Grilled Pork Tenderloin
The secret to a really good salad is fresh ingredients--simply prepared and well seasoned. Greens should be crisp and cold. Fruits, cheeses, and vinaigrettes are best at room temperature. Beyond that, there are few rules for creating a spectacular salad.
Tropical Spinach Salad With Grilled Shrimp, for example, is just as delicious when prepared with chicken or pork. Substitute fresh peaches for mangoes, feta for goat cheese, or pine nuts for pistachios. Add a little crumbled blue cheese to Strawberry-Chicken Salad, or replace the diced onion with a handful of fresh chives. What could be easier? And if you're lucky enough to have leftovers, just tuck them inside a pita pocket for a terrific sandwich.
If a hectic schedule keeps you out of the kitchen, order an assortment of salads and tea sandwiches from a favorite cafe or delicatessen, and focus on a festive presentation. A colorful collection of teacups and pretty silverware can transform the simplest of salads into an elegant luncheon. Cream pitchers and sugar bowls make terrific containers for dressings and croutons.
Flavor softened butter with finely chopped herbs or fruit preserves, and serve with a basket of hot cornbread and homemade rolls or miniature muffins and biscuits.
- Baby Blue Salad
- Bacon-Lettuce-Mozzarella-and-Tomato Salad
- Baked Goat Cheese Salad
- Beef Salad Niçoise
- Beefy Taco Salad
- Caribbean Crabmeat Salad With Creamy Gingered Dressing
- Chicken-Spinach-Strawberry Salad
- Chicken-and-Fruit Salad
- Chicken-and-Rice Salad
- Chili-Corn Chip Stack-Up Salad
- Chutney Curried Turkey Salad
- Coastal Shrimp Salad
- Curried Poached Pears with Coconut-Chicken Salad
- Grilled Pork Cosmopolitan Salad
- Grilled Shrimp Orange and Watermelon Salad With Peppered Peanuts in A Zesty Citrus Dressing
- Grilled Steak Salad Niçoise
- Layered Cornbread-and-Turkey Salad
- Lobster Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette
- Salad Niçoise
- Shrimp Pasta Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
- Steak-and-Spinach Salad With Hot Pan Dressing
- Watermelon-Prosciutto Salad
This article is from the May 2005 issue of Southern Living.