Laurey W. Glenn / Styling Leigh Anne Montgomery
In the rush to pack bags for a road trip, don't forget to take care of things at home. If you don't have a house sitter, here is a handy checklist of things to leave on, turn off, turn on, clean out, and unplug.
- Clean out the refrigerator. Throw out anything that will go bad, such as dairy products and produce.
- Take out the trash. There's nothing worse than coming home to a smelly trash can. Empty it right before you head out.
- Set light timers. Plug-in timers can be found at home-improvement stores. Install them on a few lamps throughout the house, and set each to go on and off at a different time.
- Adjust the thermostat. Turn it to about 65 degrees in winter.
- Unplug appliances. Unplug computers, televisions, radios, and other appliances. Green thought: Do this when you are home as well. Many appliances draw energy even when they are turned off.
- Give keys to a neighbor. Have a trusted friend or neighbor keep an eye on your house. Ask him or her to walk through the house every couple of days so plumbing or other emergencies don't go unnoticed.