22. Centrally located, the dining room serves as the hub of the home. “During the day it’s a place for games and homework, and at night it morphs into an intimate dining area,” says Michael.
23. Mixing high-back upholstered seating with low, slipcovered chairs avoids the predictable formula of a table with matching chairs.
24. An oversize chandelier draws the eye up to a reclaimed-wood-clad ceiling.
25. French doors are on a direct axis with the outdoor fireplace, creating quite a view when flung open. “Every indoor living space here draws you outside,” says Michael.
26. It’s easy to fit in extra guests around a large, round dining table. Use a mix of chairs for more interest.