- Light: They prefer light shade.
- Soil: Plants thrive in well-drained soil, with lots of organic matter to retain some moisture. Plants do not like wet soil. Established plants are drought-tolerant.
- Fertilizer: They don’t struggle at all if they are not fed but will flourish if you provide a balanced slow-release fertilizer.
- Pests/diseases: Deer- and vole-proof; no diseases
- Grooming: Once new foliage emerges, cut away any tattered foliage from last year’s growth.
- Range: Upper South, Middle South, and Lower South. In the Coastal South, be sure to provide ideal drainage and full shade. You can even grow them in pots.
- Purchase: Now, when the selection is best at nurseries and garden centers. Expect to pay $15-$20 for gallon-size plants.