Are your shrubs looking sickly? This South Carolina expert has the cure for what ails them.
Photography Ralph Anderson
Never buy rhododendrons labeled simply by color. Choose named selections that are proven to take Southern heat and humidity. A great mail-order source is RareFind Nursery, www.rarefindnursery.com. Here are some of Robert's favorite selections.
- 'Anah Kruschke'--lavender-blue to reddish-purple
- 'Anna Rose Whitney'--deep pink
- 'Ben Moseley'--purplish-pink with a dark blotch
- 'Blue Ensign'--lilac-blue with a dark blotch
- 'Calsap'--lavender-white with a dark purple blotch
- 'Caroline'--light pink
- 'Cynthia'--rosy crimson, Robert's top pick
- 'English Roseum'--pink
- 'Janet Blair'--pink and cream with a yellow blotch
- 'Scintillation'--light pink with a yellow blotch
- 'Wheatley'--rose pink
"Rx for Rhododendrons" is from the April 2008 issue of Southern Living.