The Right Selections
Never buy rhododendrons labeled simply by color. Choose named selections that are proven to take Southern heat and humidity.
A great mail-order source is RareFind Nursery, www.rarefindnursery.com. Here are some of Robert's favorite selections.
- 'Anah Kruschke'--lavender-blue to reddish-purple
- 'Anna Rose Whitney'--deep pink
- 'Ben Moseley'--purplish-pink with a dark blotch
- 'Blue Ensign'--lilac-blue with a dark blotch
- 'Calsap'--lavender-white with a dark purple blotch
- 'Caroline'--light pink
- 'Cynthia'--rosy crimson, Robert's top pick
- 'English Roseum'--pink
- 'Janet Blair'--pink and cream with a yellow blotch
- 'Scintillation'--light pink with a yellow blotch
- 'Wheatley'--rose pink
"Rx for Rhododendrons" is from the April 2008 issue of Southern Living.