Tips for Planting Tomatoes
- Plant after soil has fully warmed and all frost danger has passed.
- Remove lower leaves of the plant using sharp clippers before planting.
- Plant deep and in good soil.
- Mix leaf mold, mushroom compost, peat moss, or composted manure (such as Black Kow) into the hole to enrich soil and improve drainage.
- If you are planting a lot, use a posthole digger.
- Add a thick layer of mulch, such as pine straw or wheat straw, around the base of the plant before watering to help prevent soil-borne diseases from splashing onto the plant.