We request that you submit each entry in a black, three-ring or portfolio presentation binder in this format:
- A one-page description of the project, typewritten and double-spaced on one side of a sheet of white, 8 1/2 x 11 paper (photocopies
acceptable). The top line must list the category entered. Follow with a short description of your project, stating your original
goals and intents, any design challenges you encountered, and the solutions / final results. Please include the square footage
of the house or affected area as well. In order to keep the entrants anonymous, DO NOT include any information on this or
the rest of the binder sheets revealing the homeowner(s), architect, builder, or other design professional that were involved.
- Next, include Applicable floor plans for the entire house or affected area according to its category, on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets
of paper. For additions, renovations, and remodels, ‘before’ plans must be included as well. Do not send folded or rolled-up
- For the remaining sheets, include color photographs – enough of which will give us a full and complete understanding of the
project. For additions, renovations, and remodels, ‘before’ photos must be included as well. Color photocopies or reprints
in whatever size / combination that fit an 8 1/2 x 11 format are acceptable, and we recommend that any photos be submitted
in protective, vinyl sleeves. Photos of the homeowners are acceptable and encouraged. Please DO NOT send us original photographs
or any original material, for that matter.
- A completed entry form and permission form, as well as an entry fee check for $25 payable to the Southern Home Awards. Insert
the forms and check in a manila envelope and attach it to the back page or your binder (or slip it in the binder’s pocket,
if it has one).
- Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (with adequate postage), large enough to have your binder successfully returned
to you after the judging takes place. Fed Ex and other shipping methods are acceptable, as long as the mailing forms are completely
and correctly filled out, including the sender’s applicable account numbers. All entries must be postmarked no later than
midnight of August 21, 2009.
- Mail your entry to:
Southern Home Awards
Southern Living Magazine
2100 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35209
Entry and Permission Forms:
This year, we’ve made the forms easier to fill out because you can type your information in while online. Just be sure to
print the completed forms and include them with your entry binder(s):