Reality TV makes it tough to face real life. There’s no high-powered crew coming, you’re not headed for Disney World, and before you can say "Ty Pennington," it’s Sunday night. So can you really make a difference in a weekend? You bet. It all starts with a plan. Use our time schedule to help you divide up and prioritize your tasks.
2 TO 4 WEEKS OUT:
- Order shutters and hardware.
- Check with manufacturer for delivery date.
- Get window boxes and hardware.
- Find unpainted bench.
- Purchase plastic pots.
1 WEEK OUT:
- Paint boxes, if necessary, with primer coat and 2 top coats.
- Purchase packing peanuts, potting soil, fertilizer.
- Purchase plants.
- Paint to match house shutter color―2 coats.
- Paint bench―primer coat and 2 top coats.
- Paint shutters―primer coat and 2 top coats.
- window boxes
- metal L brackets for mounting box
- screws or bolts--wood or masonry depending on your house
- drill bit--for wood or masonry
- decorative brackets to cover metal supports
- tape measure
- drill with appropriate bit
- Fill the bottom third of the window box with packing peanuts. This ensures good drainage and reduces the weight.
- Add potting soil to fill the box. Sprinkle all-purpose granular timed-release fertilizer (such as 14-14-14) on top.
- Add plants, putting tall ones in the back, medium-size in the middle, and trailers to come over the front edge.
- Water the box thoroughly.